About Threes Physiyoga Method for Physical Therapists
This introductory weekend consists of foundational knowledge regarding the teaching of yoga as a mind-body-spirit wellness modality and how this modality can be integrated into traditional physical therapy for the benefit of the patient and the clinician.
Yoga is a mutli-limbed practice that unites movement with breath. Having an understanding of the influence and benefits of this practice on the body is a powerful, efficient tool for physiotherapists.
Physiotherapists will be introduced to the Threes Physiyoga Method of assessing suboptimal and dysfunctional movement. They will understand the mechanics of breath, the neurological considerations of re-training the musculoskeletal system, and how the deep integration of fascia and connective tissue impacts the body.
We will illustrate how to integrate a yoga movement based assessment tool and yoga movement/posture prescription including specific cueing, modifications, and pose transitions into a traditional physical therapy treatment regimen. This knowledge will provide physiotherapists the foundation to integrate mindfulness, breath work and yoga postures as a therapeutic modality.
The course will give you 13.5 hours of practical learning including case studies, a comprehensive movement assessment tool, therapeutic techniques and yoga sequencing.
Foundational topics to be discussed include:
- exploring how multiple systems may impact dysfunction and how to address them
- understanding the influences of the breath and thorax on the body
- how mindful awareness facilitates neuromuscular re-education for optimal, safe, and efficient movement.
Topics that will be addressed include:
- Pranayama and breathing practice
- Yoga Overview: History and types
- The 8 limbs of yoga: an introduction to the history & foundation of the practice of yoga
- The 5 Koshas approach
- What is meditation, mindfulness & interoception: moving mind & body
- Postural Assessment
- Mechanics, dysfunctions, asana, compensations of:
- thorax, diaphragm & core
- pelvis & shoulder
- foot & hand
- Movement assessment through transitions
- The Threes Physiyoga Method
- Assessment: breaking down and building up
- Modifications and themes applied to physical therapy practice
- Understanding and adapting yoga for physical therapy
- Exploring how multiple systems may impact dysfunction and how to address them
NEXT COURSE: TBC
Watch this space!
Diana Zotos Florio MPT, CYT Co-Director Physiyoga Global
Emily Tomlinson PT, CYT Co-Director Physiyoga Global
Cara Ann Secola PT, DPT, OCS, CYT Physiyoga Global Senior Teacher